The Church of England: A Zoo or a Sanctuary?

Here we gather all the religious nuts together to have a good ol' chat! We know you've been looking for a place to share your beliefs and we're here to provide just that.

In this forum, we encourage lively discussions and debates (as long as they stay civil, of course). We believe that everyone has the right to voice their opinions, no matter how wacky they may seem. So come on in, pull up a chair, and get comfortable.

We promise you won't be judged. Our community is made up of people from all walks of life, and we welcome anyone who wants to join in on the fun.

Whether you're a devout believer or just someone who's curious about religion, we've got something for you. From Bible studies to discussions on the meaning of life, we've got it all. So why not take a break from scrolling through cat memes and join us for some stimulating conversation?

We're not just a forum, we're a family. And we can't wait to welcome you with open arms (and maybe a little bit of holy water). So what are you waiting for? Come on in and join the fun!
jamesH

The Church of England: A Zoo or a Sanctuary?

Post by jamesH »

My brothers and sisters in Christ 😓 I am slightly disillusioned, okay... more than slightly. I am furious! 😡 Why are we allowing our own church, The Church of England, to turn into a chimpanzee pen where males guard 'their' women as though they were possessions? This is not the love and respect that the Bible teaches us. How did we get here? 🤔

Paul wrote in Ephesians 5:25 (NIV), "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her." But what I'm seeing is men, even vicars and curates, behaving like creepy fanboys, circling single women like prey. And the worst part? Many of these men are married! This is a far cry from Paul's admonition.

I see single men trying to talk to women, but they are thwarted at every turn by these 'guardians.' 😒 This is not a Christian attitude; this is not love. This is possession, obsession, and control.

And this insincere attitude extends beyond just the men. I've met my share of shallow, jerkish so-called Christians who only act nice when it benefits them. Where is the welcoming spirit, the Christian love? Nowhere to be found, alas! 😢

Where in the Bible does it say to be complete and utter jerks to others? Is this what the Church of England has turned into - a bizarre, middle-class social ladder climbing club? I've attended many churches in Sheffield, and all seem to suffer from the same epidemic. Is jealousy our new creed? Is this what our church, under Justin Welby, is becoming?

Say it ain't so! 😭

Now, I know I sound angry. I am. But I am not alone in this, am I? 🤨 Have you experienced similar issues? Has the church become an unwelcoming place for you too?

I'm a single, straight, white man, and my experiences in our church have left me wondering: Is there a place for me here? 🤷‍♂️ I feel like an outsider, a threat even. It seems like my mere presence stirs up jealously and suspicion. I mean, I just want to worship and connect with others in Christ, but it feels like I'm walking on eggshells. 😔

The church should be a sanctuary, a place of love and acceptance. We should be living examples of Christ’s teachings, not worse than pagans! So, I implore you, my Christian brothers and sisters, to introspect. Is our behaviour in line with the Word of God? Are we showing love and acceptance to all, or are we pushing people away with our jealousy and possessive behaviour?

#ChurchOfEngland #JustinWelby #Christianity #ChurchProblems #SingleChristianMen