Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

wot
      Participant

How did the 1918/19 Spanish Flu pandemic end? Did it just peter out? Or was a vaccine developed? Or did it just infect everyone, and the lucky ones who developed immunity carry on with life after it?

I suppose it would be difficult to determine the economic impact, because the economies of most countries had already been devastated by the Great War, and another factor was millions of returning soldiers were being demobbed causing massive over supply of labour and unemployment.

I suppose that by that time the population was hardened to to accept death stoically after the horrendous death toll of 5 years of War.

bert
      Participant

There wasnt a vaccine it just petered out. Possibly because sufficient numbers of people had caught it and either died or developed immunity that it was unable to spread further.

dom123
      Participant

As usual Wikipedia is pretty good on this. I read it last week and seem to remember that it says the virus eventually became self-limiting as it killed more and more potential carriers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

David
        Participant

Yes, that’s interesting and encouraging. And probably the best hope with Covid-19.

Irk
        Participant

Is that really encouraging? I’m not sure. The original Government response seemed to be to facilitate just such a situation and they got panned for suggesting it.

Harvey
        Participant

Its encouraging in the sense it did end by itself in a relatively short time. Unlike something like smallpox which kept going for thousands of years killing large numbers every year until it was ended by vaccination.

wot
        Participant

Interesting that it was the second wave which proved so lethal, just what we need to avoid risking now by lifting the restrictions too soon.

Glenn
        Participant

You would assume the economic impact of spanish flu was much greater since it massively affected those of working age (15-44). So far COVID is following the normal profile and mostly affecting the old non-working population.

jk
      Participant

It turned into seasonal influenza.

scats
      Participant

It’s not in a virus’ “interest” to kill it’s host. Viruses tend to become less aggressive with age, and obviously if the kill more and more of their hosts,eventually they die out too.

since there is a debate to have about whether a virus is a living entity, words like dying and “interest” are a bit strange to assign to viruses in the first place.

Interesting Fact, “What colour are viruses?”

Answer: They have no colour because they are smaller than the wavelength of light so they can’t have a colour!

Mind blown, when I heard this. Science is great

tomtom
        Participant

They have no colour because they are smaller than the wavelength of light so they can’t have a colour!

To be slightly picky, with a diameter of 120 nm, Coronavirus is smaller than the wavelength of visible light. But not UV light or x-rays. So you can bounce light off a virus, you just can’t directly visually perceive it.

And anyway, as hang_about says, colour is a purely mental attribute. Nothing in the physical world has intrinsic colour, it only exists in our minds*. So a false-colour image of a virus is perfectly valid because the false colours aren’t physically real either.

(*cue drunken student arguments about whether the blue I see is the same as the blue you see…)

scats
        Participant

(*cue drunken student arguments about whether the blue I see is the same as the blue you see…)

That’s a maybe, but we’d both agree the sky is blue, what we’re both experiencing might be very different, but we both know what is meant by blue. So the same goes for a virus, if I’m talking about colour, it’s pretty obvious I’m taking about visible light, and something the the majority of the population would agree with.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.