• Author
    Springer
    10 Posts

I’ve always had a high pain threshold (I thought!) but had surgery for a broken ankle last night and am shocked at how much discomfort I’m in. The ankle itself but almost worse is the surgical site, it all hurts about 100 x more than when I first did it/the days after before the surgery.

Being sent home with oramorphine and cocodamol, which keeps it at bay (ish) but makes me really, really sleepy.

Any ideas how long this acute pain may last? I need to get off these meds ASAP as have so much work to get through from home and need to have a sharp mind, but if I don’t take them I don’t think I’ll be much use working anyway and I certainly won’t be getting any sleep.

Google seems vague and doctors seem vaguer. Are we talking days… a week?

Feeling a little stressed about how long I may be unable to properly work for when every day counts at the moment and I’ve already had 48 hours out of the business… high pressured job and whilst they will have no issue with me taking time off it effects me personally/my targets so only myself who will be injured really.

I know everyone is effected differently but just wondering whether I can at least expect a dramatic improvement quite quickly or not 🙁

No sympathy needed here, it’s minor and not the end of the world- just any other experiences that may help ease my worry of a long term fuzzy mind.

Raff
    8 Posts

I wasn’t given oramorph but was given codeine, when I had to contact the GP for the next prescription (after about 4 days), I asked for a lower dose and was given co-codamol. I began to feel better as soon as I was established on the co-codamol. However a few weeks after I had my 6 weeks check-up and was referred on to physic, I found that I had an infection in the stitches, which was extremely painful. I had to have another 2 weeks off work until that was sorted. If the site is so bad, I would ask for another check-up, it shouldn’t be so painful.

scats
    6 Posts

You had surgery last night? Of course you are going to be in pain! It is impossible to say how long the pain will last.

jk
    4 Posts

My daughter had ankle surgery some years ago and she was zonked out on really strong medication for about a fortnight. Sorry!

Irk
    9 Posts

Mum had an ankle fusion two weeks ago, planned, but it took her a few days/a week to get the pain under control.

What have you had done?

You cant expect to be able to do your normal work load, even if you can do it from bed, straight after any surgery that requires fixing ankles as thats a lot of pulling and pushing that is going to inflamme everything.

I would give it a week untill your brain is back on board. Thats how long it took mums.

neb
    5 Posts

Give it a few days, you should find the pain gets a lot better in a very short period of time. Mean while keep the ankle elevated as much as possible to help the swelling drain (a lot of post operation pain is caused by swelling)
    If not then talk to your GP. There are other options

I had the tendons in my ankle reconstructed in May and was in a lot of pain for about a week, compounded by the fact that I’m allergic to codiene (that includes cocodamol) so was given tramadol, which I had a bad reaction to despite having taken it ok in the past. Was given Oramorph but was too terrified to try it given the reactions I had had previously (found out about the codiene a few years ago when I took some and stopped breathing, the tramadol was not quite as bad but did suppress breathing and result in a hospital trip). I ended up on Some non opioid pain medication that is not normally prescribed as it is very expensive and morphine is generally better at stopping pain with less side effects, I can’t remember the name of it though I believe it couldn’t be taken for more than a week due to how hard it was on the liver.

tomtom
    6 Posts

I really feel for you. Such a crappy and unlucky thing to happen. Keep taking the pain meds like clockwork. They tend to have a cumulative effect and as you go on you will find you tolerate them better. Ask about taking paracetemol as well. On its own its a pretty poor painkiller but combined with opiates its very good for providing decent background pain relief. Get yourself some high dose b12 as its depleted by general anesthetic and is really important for healing and pain. and dont over do it! Rest lots. you need to rest to allow healing.

Gary
    5 Posts

My tip would be to eat a lot, M. It takes a phenomenal amount of calories to mend a fracture. With that and the stress just eat whenever you are hungry, and force yourself to eat if you aren’t hungry.

Hope you are on the up soon, that’s and unlucky injury.

Dax
    2 Posts

Post op pain is a shock at first .
    Make sure you keep taking your medication on time and rest as soon as your body tells you .
    I found you feel best from when you wake up until two and worse as the day goes on so make sure you rest in the afternoon .
    You do get used to pain and it will get better the first ten days are the worse.

Springer
    10 Posts

Eeeek guys I spoke too soon. For some reason the meds made me feel phenomenally nauseous this afternoon had to dive off a conference call and just lie down for two hours until it passed. I’m in absolutely no pain and wondering whether to lower the dose (two tablets of cocodamol 4 x a day and 5ml morphine every four hours), as maybe it’s overkill if it’s making me feel so sick?

Strange as I didn’t have this probably in hospital yesterday on the same meds?

I, have barely eaten if I’m honest (though interestingly appear to be half a stone heavier than when I went in which can’t possibly be the fibreglass cast!), meds making me distinctly not hungry especially now with this new nausea.

Ah well, it’s frustrating and none of this would be an issue if I had a job I could be sick from… but every day I can’t work is a huge amount of extra stress/pressure for me for when I can if that makes sense.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Springer.
    millie
    3 Posts

If you have had a plate surgery it does bloody hurt I had the same thing same time last year, I was given codeine and had to take 2 with 2 paracetamol 4 times a day and I felt like a zombie, so I halved the codeine once I came home 2 days later and felt much better but it was really painful for about 4 days after the surgery, I found the oramorph useless so didn’t take once at home, then I went onto co- codamal after about 5 days as the codeine just doesn’t agree with me at such a high dose.

I was non weight bearing for 10 days and it took me absolutely ages to be able to walk properly, I had a lot of tendon and soft tissue damage which is what caused the walking problems, I am older than you being 47 but I am no whimp I can tolerate pain I walked about on my broken ankle, only really felt I had done something serious when I felt my bones crunching whilst walking, they had to manipulate mine before the operation as it was so displaced that really bloody hurt.

How long are you going to be non weight bearing and are you in a cast ?

Smithers
    3 Posts

50 odd years ago, I broke my ankle quite badly – it was excruciating! I just laid there and shook for about an hour weeing for England ( in my experience that’s always a good indication of how hurt I am!) Miles from anywhere, minimum medic – first aid strapping – like an Egyptian mummy. A week long trek to hospital where I promptly passed out with relief more than anything – came round in enormous pain and smell!!! At least ten guys in green hovering around my totally black leg debating whether to cut it off. The strapping had been too tight, there was wildlife underneath it and I’d had one ampule of morphine in a week. I managed to say “Jeez mate, I have to walk back to Kilgorrie – don’t cut the bugger off!” (cos I heard two surgeons had Aussie accents)

I woke up four hours later in traction – in a mossie net but me toes out of it and the plaster kept being bitten – drove me mad.

In the middle of the ward ceiling was a fan and two big lamp globes – I used to lay there concentrating on slowing down the fan and dimming the lamps. Oh the joys of defending the Empire!

Pain is a funny thing! No one knows how much someone else is in – you can judge if you’ve suffered similar injury but some folk seem more resistant. I don’t mind tellin you that mine hurt like hell but it gradually left me on minimum painkilling but plenty of anticrobes. Then getting the damn leg working again was good fun – I’d had a full length cast on for 16 weeks – me leg had shrunk to a stick.

Still like they used to say – if you can’t take a joke, you shouldn’t have joined.

isac
    2 Posts

Keep a careful eye on your reaction to the medication, feeling sick and nauseous on morphine is normal, however if it continues to get worse each time you take it then you may be having a reaction.

I’ve taken tramadol in the past no problems at all, the time before my ankle it did make me feel very ill, then post ankle operation I took one tablet of tramadol, was violently ill within about 5 mins and then started struggling to breathe.
    Similar with the codiene except I got no warning with that one, took it no problems in the past and then Had a bad fall and took codiene as prescribed by doctors and within about 5mins of taking the tablet I couldn’t feel my skin at all, stopped breathing and started turning blue. Luckily my mother in law was with me at the time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.