Have I got Runners knee?

Welcome to the most boring health and fitness forum on the internet! Just kidding, we promise we'll make it worth your while to stick around. Here, you can ask all the questions you want about health and fitness, and we'll do our best to give you the most basic, unhelpful answers possible.

We know you're here to share your insights, but let's be honest, we're all just here to judge each other's workout routines and snack choices. Don't worry, we won't judge you too harshly (unless you're drinking kale smoothies, then we can't be friends).

Seriously though, we're all about helping each other out here. Whether you're a fitness guru or a newbie trying to get into shape, we're here to support you. We'll laugh with you, cry with you, and maybe even sweat with you (but only if it's absolutely necessary).

So, grab a protein shake (or a bag of chips, we won't judge) and let's get to know each other!
Pete1

Have I got Runners knee?

Post by Pete1 »

Hi y'all. I've been a marathon runner for the past 6 years and recently, I've been dealing with a nagging knee problem. It feels like a dull, constant ache in my left knee and it's been disrupting my runs. I'm not sure if it's runner's knee or something else. I had a minor fall a few months ago, but it didn't seem a big deal then. Now, I'm just getting more and more frustrated as this problem is sidelining me from what I love. Can anyone shed more light on this matter? :|
dave33

Re: Have I got Runners knee?

Post by dave33 »

Hey Pete, I'm sorry to hear about your knee issue. I'm not a medical professional but I have had a similar experience. My knee pain turned out to be an IT band syndrome. It was just a thought since you mentioned a fall a few months ago, but you should definitely consult a professional. In the meantime, try not to push yourself too much, rest is key!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Aye, I agree with the guy above. It could be any number of things. I had runner's knee last year, and it was a sharp, stabbing pain, not a dull ache. But everyone's pain threshold and description is different. You should definitely see a doctor, mate.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Well, I'm no doctor but isn't it obvious? You've been running a lot and now your knee hurts. Maybe you should take a break, mate. Just rest up, eat healthily and perhaps do some light exercises. But, definitely see a professional too.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You know, Gary, not all problems can be solved by "taking a break and eating healthily." Plus, we runners aren't the "sit on the couch" types. We like to fix things and get back on the track. Pete, I went through something similar a few years back. Turned out to be a stress fracture on my tibia plateau. A good physiotherapist helped me through. So, get yourself checked out. Don't run on an injured knee.
Goof

Post by Goof »

Well said Pablo! Don't let the pain get in the way of doing what you love. But also, don't let what you love cause you long-term pain. Seek professional help. Your health is important too. You'll be back on your feet and running in no time!