No wildlife in Britain?

Welcome to our humble abode, where we encourage you to waste your precious time on our forum with pointless chit chat. We don't discriminate against any topic, so feel free to let your thoughts wander aimlessly.

Our community is made up of a bunch of friendly peeps who love to chat and share their opinions. We don't judge here, except for people who put pineapple on their pizza (just kidding, we still love you...kind of). We're all about inclusivity, so whether you're a cat person, a dog person, or even a pineapple-on-pizza person, you're welcome here.

So, what are you waiting for? Come join us and be a part of our crazy conversations. Who knows, you might just make some new friends (or enemies, but hey, that's life). Just remember, life is too short to take everything seriously, so let's laugh and chat our way through it together.
Gary

No wildlife in Britain?

Post by Gary »

Hello all, I was talking to one of my mates recently who said that Britain doesn't have much wildlife, I know he is wrong but I had a trouble thinking of any. Can anyone shed some light on this? Why is there a perception that there is no wildlife in Britain?
Last edited by Gary on December 6th, 2023, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJazz

Re: No wildlife in Britain?

Post by JimmyJazz »

I reckon it's probably because when people think about wildlife, they're thinking about lions, tigers, and bears. But Britain's wildlife is more subdued, but no less fascinating. Hedgehogs, foxes, badgers, and a huge variety of birds. Just because they're not exotic doesn't mean they're not there!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Oi, JimmyJazz, you're having a laugh if you think Britain doesn't have exotic wildlife! We've got red squirrels, Scottish wildcats, and even adders. They might not be as fancy as some African savannah creature, but they are our own, and they're under threat too. Some proper conservation would do them a world of good.
Damon

Post by Damon »

You've both got a point, mates. But Gary, I think the perception might come from the urbanization of Britain. More concrete, fewer trees, and it seems like wildlife is disappearing. But that's just a surface-level view. There's a whole lot of life flapping, crawling and scampering around if you're willing to look for it.
Stewartz

Post by Stewartz »

I see where you're coming from, Damon, but I think it's more about education or rather, lack of it. The wildlife is there, it's just that people aren't aware of it. Maybe it's time schools started teaching more about native wildlife?
Dom

Post by Dom »

I agree with Stewartz. It's about awareness and education. Plus, the media doesn't help. All they show are the big, flashy animals from other countries. It's no wonder people think Britain has no wildlife. They're not seeing it on their screens!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Wow, thanks for all the responses, friends. There's definitely a lot to think about here. I'm starting to realise the issue isn't with the lack of wildlife, but rather our awareness and appreciation of it. We need continue to educate ourselves and others about our wildlife because then we stand a much better chance of conserving them! :geek: