How to do product photography properly!

Home Forums Tech How to do product photography properly!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Gary 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Gary
    Participant

Product photography isn’t all about having the most expensive dslr camera, as setting up your scene and lights is a far more crucial piece of the puzzle.
    When creating good quality product images especially for catalogs and ecomerce websites, consistency is key, to achieve this then you must ensure you product is photographed on a pure white sweep background with as few shadows as possible to help showcase your product in it full glory as well as get rid of other things that could distract or just make your product look ugly. Doing this however is easier said than done. Ridding your scene of unwanted light sources can be very tricky.

The truth is product photography is not an exact science as there are hundreds of different ways to do this, some ways better than others. In this post will share the way I set things up which work best for me and my products.

You might be tempted to place your product in light tent and use continues lights to take your photos to save time but doing this can cause extra problems and should be avoided as nine times out of ten this will leave your product looking washed out this is because when you shine a white light onto the white surface of that paper this will reflect white light onto the product saturating the colours onto the product. This is just one of many of the sticky situations that can occur and wreck your photo if you don not manipulate the scenes in the right way. One of the ways in which you can take a good product image that does have good lighting that does not look washed is too limit the amount of white light being reflected onto the product, one way to prevent this would be to use fill cards to help absorb light from the scene rather than letting it reflect back into the scene.

What surface should you put your product on? You can also place your product on translucent matte plexiglass which will also get ridden of reflection and can be bent to create a white infinity sweep background thus also removing horizon lines and making your photos easily more consistent.

How many lights should you use and where, I hear you ask? A 4 light setup is always best when taking product photographs. Having one light above your scene, two on the side and one at the back will help to eliminate reduce shadows and always looks best. Applying a soft box to your lights is also a pretty good idea as well as this will soften the lines on the shadows and make your image look less harsh and better on the eye.

Anyway I hope this post will helps if you are thinking about product images.. if not then please post your questions below and I will try my best to answer them. Cheers!

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  Gary.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.